Artist Spotlight: Mark Supik
Artist Spotlight: Mark Supik
Mark Supik and his wife Nancy own and operate Mark Supik & Co. Woodturning in Baltimore, Maryland. A family business, the shop produces architectural millwork for historic restorations, custom turnings for furniture makers and beer taps for microbreweries. On the weekends, Mark’s shop becomes a woodturning school.
Mark first encountered studio woodturning when he was an undergraduate at the Maryland Institute College of Art studying sculpture. While in school, Mark attended one of Albert LeCoff’s first woodturning conferences in 1976. After graduating, he worked for a number of woodworking businesses before starting his own shop in one of Baltimore’s old industrial neighborhoods.
He began buying old woodworking machines and modifying them for production use and in 1990 decided to focus his business on woodturning. The shop’s proximity to the Baltimore, Annapolis and Washington historic areas, provides opportunities for architectural restoration projects. In addition to stair parts, columns, and curved moldings, Mark and his staff also produce a variety of wood turned items including furniture parts, plugs, bats, back rollers, and gavels.
Keeping a woodturning business floating in today’s economy means being flexible. Turning a few wooden beer tap handles for a local microbrewery led to what is now 30% of Mark’s business, providing tap handles to microbreweries all over the country. For years, a popular field trip destination for local woodturning clubs from DC, Maryland and neighboring Pennsylvania, Mark’s shop has now become a woodturning school on weekends offering workshops for beginners and more experienced turners. Classes include not only traditional spindle and bowl technique, but specialty classes for making your own beer tap handle, fiber arts tools, or learning woodworking along side your child.
Mark still finds time (although never enough time) to turn natural edged, end grain bowls and to experiment with spindle turning projects.
- Member of American Association of Woodturners Professional Outreach Program.
- Teacher at Mark Supik Woodturning Workshops since 2007, Classes: Bowl Turning, The Right Start: Basic Spindle Turning, Beer Taps 101, Fiber Arts Tools, Woodturning with Your Child
- Demonstrator, American Craft Council Show, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Demonstrator, Renwick Gallery, Bresler Collection Exhbit, 2010
- Demonstrator at area woodturning clubs: Chesapeake Woodturners, Susquehanna Woodturners, Montgomery County Woodturners, Baltimore Area Turners, South Central Pennsylvannia Woodturners
- Host to local woodturning clubs for shop demonstrations and host for classes offered by visiting turners: Jerry Kermode and Mark Sfirri
- Demonstrator, The Woodworking Shows, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Panel presenter at 2011 AAW Woodturning Symposium in St. Paul
More about Mark Supik:
Mark Supik & Co. website: www.marksupikco.com
The Pine Bowl Project: http://pinebowlproject.blogspot.com
Photos of Mark Supik & Co. by J. Nash: http://www.nashification.com/gallery/mark-supik-co/